Motor Driver- a Motor driver is an integrated IC which amplifies the low signal from the microcontroller and amplifies to run a DC motor. There are many Motor Drivers available in the market but some of these are list below.
- L293D– It’s the most common Motor Driver available in the market. An L293D Motor Driver has the capability to control 2 motors. L293D can control Speed according to User. L293D IC works on H-Bridge principle. Compatible with Arduino, Raspberry Pi, ARM, AVR, 8051, etc. Can control 2 dc motors, their direction using control lines and their speed using PWM
|1||Enable pin for Motor 1; active high||Enable 1,2|
|2||Input 1 for Motor 1||Input 1|
|3||Output 1 for Motor 1||Output 1|
|6||Output 2 for Motor 1||Output 2|
|7||Input 2 for Motor 1||Input 2|
|8||Supply voltage for Motors; 9-12V (up to 36V)||Vcc 2|
|9||Enable pin for Motor 2; active high||Enable 3,4|
|10||Input 1 for Motor 1||Input 3|
|11||Output 1 for Motor 1||Output 3|
|14||Output 2 for Motor 1||Output 4|
|15||Input2 for Motor 1||Input 4|
|16||Supply voltage; 5V (up to 36V)||Vcc 1|
- L298N- It is the latest and highly reliable motor driver. It is a high voltage, high current dual full-bridge driver designed to drive inductive loads such as relays, solenoids, DC and stepper motors. Two enable inputs are provided to enable or disable the device independently of the input signals. An additional supply input is provided so that the logic works at a lower voltage.
- It can be used to drive a 2-phase bipolar stepper motor or two DC motors with the L298 dual H-Bridge chip.
- It is ideal for robotic applications and well suited for connection to a microcontroller requiring just a couple of control lines per motor
- It can also be interfaced with simple manual switches, TTL logic gates, relays, etc.
- Adafruit Motor Shield- Adafruit motor shield is the ultimate motor driver designed to be set on Arduino UNO and MEGA. Motor shield has the capability to run 2 Servo motor, 4 DC motor all at once. It consists of 2 L293D IC and SN74HC595N.
To interact with the hardware and software, user needs to install some of the Library available for Motor Shield.
- No messy wires.
- Easy to fix motors.
- No need to define every terminal of the motor.
- Inbuilt reset button to interrupt.
- Almost all the pins are covered UNO and especially PWM pins.
- Library installation is very important and availability is a problem for beginners.
The motor controllers on this shield are designed to run from 4.5V to 25V.